Re: Life-long ambition realized

To: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Subject: Re: Life-long ambition realized
From: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 19:39:51 -0400
W. R. Gibbons wrote:

> Hi W. R..,

Lordy, I know that feeling. I wasn't quite old enough to drive when I
saw my first 120. My buddies were drooling over shaved '50 Mercs and I
was thinking of DOHC.My wife had our best Jag episode. Back in '58 we
were in San Diego and  had a '52TD.  A good friend had an XK140. He was
going away for a week and asked us to take care of his car while he was
gone. No problem. One evening we had some friends visiting from back. My
wife decided to take her old college chum out for a ride in the Jag.
When they returned something seemed strained and my wife's friend kept
talking about the  psychology of why some people need to drive fast.
After they left I mentioned this to my wife. She couldn't understand it.
She said, "after all, I never went over 5000rpm on Route 101."  She was
used to the TD where, in 4th gear it's 14.4mph/1000rpm. I think the Jag
was something like 24mph/1000. And, for those not familiar with the Jag
instrumentation layout, the tach is in front of the driver and  the BIG
speedometer is in front of the passenger. Lawdy, that car was a delight
to drive (when the clutch wasn't slipping).

Bud Krueger
'52TD- Lazarus (still at tghe Proctologist's)