Re: Replacing windshield: how hard?VERY!

To: John Middlesworth <jape@email.unc.edu>
Subject: Re: Replacing windshield: how hard?VERY!
From: Dave Houser <mgs4dave@warwick.net>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 09:29:44 +0000
Finally after 8 years, the front windshield and rear hatch glass are =

back in my Special 1967 GT!
Let me say upfront, this is NOT a job for the faint-hearted!
I had heard how hard this job was from many who tried it and I =

listened. I lined up a professional who after waiting 5 months to come =

to my house finally showed up this past Monday to do the deed. He =

arrived at 10:30 and left totally exhausted at 5:30. He was a very =

conscientious type and treated the car with its fresh paint very well.
However, I don't think he'll tackle one again for a long time.
First, Problems arose with the seals from Moss=AD=ADtoo loose. He applied =

a urethane finally to keep them from leaking. With the Suction grip =

tool for holding the glass, he had to push and pull to line up and =

center everything before attempting the chrome finishers.
They are the next problem!
I'm telling you, I was sweating watching him trying to put these =

devils in place. I even jumped in on several occasions to help. The =

bottom chrome(aluminum) front windshield piece from Moss is not the =

correct shape as the original. There should be more of a bend at each =

end, their's is straighter. It does not go in. After several attempts, =

with a lot of care on his part, I have a slight tear in the bottom lip =

of the seal. This can be fixed but I had him stop at that point and I =

will attempt to find a piece with the correct shape to it before =

continuing. Everything else is in place and looks great. This cost me =

$175 and it was the best bargain to date (except for the $10 AMCO =

center console).
My library is chock full of MG tech but sorely lacking on info for =

proper replacement of these chrome finishers. Anybody out there have a =

source or set of detailed instructions on fitting these babies they =

can forward me?
I leave you with the only reference I have from a very good book, The =

"MGB-Restoration, Preparation Maintenace by Jim Tyler" --"if the =

filler strip is a touch awkward to fit, the finishing trim verges on =

the impossible. The edges locate under a thin rubber lip and there is =

ample opportunity to stab your way through the glazing strip while you =

try to persuade it to move over the lip of the trim. The author spent =

6 hours trying to fit the trim yet had to eventually admit defeat." In =

trying to contact a windscreen fitter, most "ran the other way when =

the MGB GT was mentioned".

Good Luck to us all,
Dave Houser