Re: turn signal woes

To: Mike Ellsworth <mikeells@alpha.shianet.org>
Subject: Re: turn signal woes
From: Ryan Watson <rswatson@nyx.nyx.net>
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 08:33:35 -0600 (MDT)
> I took my 71 Midget out for a drive tonight, and noticed that my right turn
> signal doesn't blink. The lights all come on, front, back, dash,etc..., but
> it doesn't blink. I can blink them on and off with the turn signal lever.
> The left turn signal works fine, as do the hazard lights on all four
> corners. It was dark when I got home, and I didn't have time to check it
> out. If the flasher was bad, would the left signal work, or if there is a
> bad ground (my 1st thought) would the 4-ways flashers all work? Could this
> be something in the signal lever itself, or would the lights not come on at
> all? All opinions welcome.

You said you were driving at night, were your headlights on? (silly
question, but you never know!) Does your
right signal work with the headlights off? I had a problem where my right
turn signal would stay on steady when the headlights were on, but work
normally with them off. I traced it to a short in the front turn signal lamp.
Mine was just the wiring near the bulb, but it could be in the bulb
itself since it is one of those bulbs with two filaments in it, one for
the turn signal and one for the running lights, if they get crossed,
presto, no turn signal.
Good luck,
Ryan Watson