Re: the red-thread

To: paul.hunt1@virgin.net
Subject: Re: the red-thread
From: miker15@juno.com (MICHAEL J ROBSON)
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 22:52:41 EDT
On Thu, 22 May 1997 20:32:43 +0000 Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
writes:
>Ricko595@aol.com wrote:(snips
>>
>> I have a 1978 MGB. It is red. Which color red is it? Moss states in
>their
>> catalogue that the only red(s) used that year were Vermillion (red
>orange)
>> and Carmine (maroon red)
>
>Clausager says that 77 model year used Damask, Carmine and Flamenco,
>1978-80 model
>year used Carmine and Vermillion.
>
>Colour codes are:-
>               PPG/Ditzler     Dupont  Glasso/Rinshed/Mason
>Damask         72261, 71064    8819    6622R
>Carmine                72065           43019   8325R
>Flamenco       72144           43661   6675
>Vermillion     60932           45471   9732R
>
>Both Flamenco and Vermillion are described as 'orange red', I would
>describe
>Damask as a dark red, a bit like blood oxydised for an hour or so.
>
>I have had poor matches from Moss with Tahiti Blue, both touch-up and
>spray.  One
>was considerably darker than my car and the other considerably
>lighter.
>
>PaulH.

I have never found a simple solution to matching reds - the "stock"
colours are always too dark since ALL reds oxidize with age.
One way to find the "close-to" true colour is to check the paint behind
the rear trim panels or the inside  of the door - you will be surprised
how different it is!- This is not the match you need!
I am getting some minor paint done on my GT next week. It is a 1970,
described as "blaze" (tho i doubt it really is)the outside of the car is
a good three shades lighter than the parts where the sun dont shine!
The paint shop is going to match it by taking a flake and running it
through a spectrometer and then formulating a match - I have no idea how
this works but the guy says he does it all the time  - watch this space,
if it works fine, if not, the headline will read "CONNECTICUT PAINT SHOP
OWNER BLUDGEONED TO DEATH IN BROAD DAYLIGHT!"

mike robson
69 roadster (black - so dead easy!)
70 BGT (Blaze or....?)
72 roadster (originally one of the oranges now BRG from Mazda!)