Re: Windshield going cloudy.

To: cfiddes@direct.ca
Subject: Re: Windshield going cloudy.
From: Aron Travis <atravis@spacey.net>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 14:24:20 -0700
cfiddes@direct.ca wrote:
> On with my question.  My windshield is starting to turn white.  I
> caught a comment on an earlier thread that said it's the plastic in
> the safety glass going bad.  How quickly can I expect this to spread?

Not to be a chicken little, BUT, pretty darn quick, especially if you
park it out of doors. Here in Florida it can spread really quick, for
example;
Early '70s VW- 1 inch white, moved out of the garage, 6 inches of
        white in two months.
'78 Midget- Hardly any white when in Oaklahoma, moved to Florida,
        about 5 inches of white after six months.(according to DPO)

I think it's a combination of age and especially UV rays. Euro cars
seem to get it worse, maybe the type of plastic/glass. Only solution
is new windshield. Here in Florida more than one inch from the edge
will get you a diffective equipment/obstructed vision ticket.
On a positive note, when I lived in Michigan the whiting process
was very slow. I seem to remember many cars lasting years before it
got to be a problem. So go figure....
Personally I would wait till it was a problem before worrying.
-Aron Travis-
"always in a automotive frenzy"