RE: MGA Water Pump Pulley

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, <RatiganJ@aol.com>
Subject: RE: MGA Water Pump Pulley
From: <larry.g.unger@lmco.com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 10:15:29 -0400
Joe Ratigan wrote:

>     I am rebuilding a 58 MGA roadster that had a 5-main B engine
> when I bought it.  I obtained a 1500 MGA short block and am in
> the process of rebuilding that engine to go into the MGA.  I am
> using a few of the MGB engine parts on the 1500 (e.g., crankshaft
> pulley).  I find that when I put the old water pump pulley on the
> new MGA water pump, the fan belt groove doesn't line up with the
> grooves in the generator and the crankshaft pulley.  I  wonder if
> the MGA water pump pulley is a different "thickness" (height,
> when the pulley is sitting on a table).

Yep ...

> The height of  my pulley is about 2.4 inches.  It appears that I will
> need a pulley that is about 1/2 inch shorter.

Yep ... 'cause the distance from the block to the pulley flange is
less for a 3-main water pump than a 5-main water pump.  The 5-main
pump has a greater capacity than the 3-main pump.  You can fit
the 5-main pump and pulley, but you will need to shim the radiator
forward to compensate for the difference in the pumps ... more than
likely this was done to fit the 5-main that you are replacing.

> Does anyone know if the MGA water pump pulley is about 1.9
> inches thick (tall).

Approximately ... ;^)

> Does anyone have one they want to sell? Does anyone want to
> trade pulleys?

Sorry ... I need one also ... so if ya find two let me know.

I'm looking for the following MGA bits ...
Water Pump Pulley
Crankshaft Pulley
Generator Pulley/Fan
Front Tappet Cover
Ring Gear (Flywheel)

... also from a MGB 3-Synchro Tranny ...
Front Cover Plate and Release Bearing Lever
Input shaft

Safety Fast! ... larry.g.unger@lmco.com
'61 MGA 1600 MkII Roaster