Oil "leak"

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Oil "leak"
From: Doug Waggoner <caseclosed@pldi.net>
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 22:54:21 -0400
First to all those who have offered suggestions... thanks!  I have tried most
of you ideas but still have the problem.  So let me ask again in a little more
detail.  First the basics.  I have a.....
63 MG Midget
1098 CG motor

This engine does not have any EPA or Ralph Nadar stuff on it.  It is the last
year to do so.  It has a crankcase vent tube and a vent that goes from the valve
cover to the air cleaner.  The problem is I have oil coming out of the crankcase
vent.  No small quantity either about a quart ever 50 miles. I pulled the
side cover and checked the little brass (for lack of a better word I will
call this an object that looks like something my family uses to scrub pots)
was still in
place over the vent tube exit....if this is like old Fords it keeps the oil from
splashing out.  I took the valve cover off and made sure that vent was open
and it was. The oil pressure is normal and my compression is about 120 psi
on all
four cylinders.  My next step unless one of you can help is to put new rings
in it and if I am going to do that I guess a complete overhaul.  I sure hate
to cause the engine sounds and runs good.  When I took the side cover off all
I could see was pushrods and lifters and everthing looked ok.

Thanks,  Doug
'63 Midget