Re: Fw: Dashpot - how do I know when to add oil?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Fw: Dashpot - how do I know when to add oil?
From: rdonahue@holli.com (Robert J. Donahue)
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 22:50:02 -0600 (MDT)
>In a message dated 97-05-26 21:51:53 EDT, bcandgirls@thurston.com writes:
>
><< IS the dashpot caps with stick meant to be like oil dipsticks?
> If so at what point do I add oil. The bottome of the bulb on
> each stick is still coated in oil. Now or later?
>
> thanks in advance >>
>
>Actually, no...
>
>They are the dashpot assembly, what you are calling a "dipstick". They keep
>the big carburetter vacuum piston from reacting either too fast or too slow
>to throttle and engine RPM changes. The speed is determined by the viscosity
>of the oil, a recently much discussed subject.
>
>I liked the comment by one person who said "why would you want to use an oil
>not recommended by the manufacturer"? The manual recommends 20W or 30W oil.
>
>Remove those "dipsticks" and look down the bores carefully with a flashlight.
>You'll see that there is a sleeve down there. Fill them up to the top of the
>sleeve with the 20W or 30W oil, then replace the "dipsticks". Check this
>every month or so. By the way, we're only talking about a teaspoon or so.
>
>R. Johnson - Dallas
>
>'90 Maine Coon
>'79 Midget
>'76 Midget
>'73 MGB

I just add a few squirts of oil every month. I figure that if it overflows,
the worst thing that can happen is a little blue smoke out the exhaust for
a few seconds. Anybody disagree?

How often should the dashpot be cleaned out? When I overhauled my SU's I
found a lot of dirt in the dashpots (that could have been 45 years worth
though). I also wonder if the oil may thicken over time. Anyway the old
oil can be removed by soaking it up with a paper towel. A Q-tip can be
used to clean the dirt on the bottom out.

Bob Donahue, Still Stuck in the '50s
rdonahue@holli.com
53 MG-TD #17639 under DIY restoration, NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB still in shop, 17 months and counting