Re: All locked up!!

To: randyr@starwave.com
Subject: Re: All locked up!!
From: britcars@juno.com
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 15:49:37 EDT
On Wed, 28 May 1997 11:41:10 -0700 Randy Rees <randyr@starwave.com>
writes:
>Next query. 67 BGT, original engine tranny.
>
>Now the problem. For no reason the engine will lock up when I turn the
>key. I put it in gear and the car wont even move. Push it down a hill
>and drop into second gear and the tires just squeal, the engine wont
>even turn over. Put into third gear and you get a little chirp and
>then
>the engine tranny turn over and car runs. This has happened three
>times
>now in about five weeks. Starter? Tranny?

Randy....almost certainly the problem is that the starter bendix is
jamming in the flywheel ring gear teeth. 65-67 MGBs are notorious for
wearing out the ring gear!
Possibly the starter bendix is damaged as well but my bet is that you'll
have to pull the engine, remove the flywheel and have the ring gear
replaced. (A good time to take a serious look at the clutch, too!)

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center
www.britcars.com