Polarizing a generator??

To: MGs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Polarizing a generator??
From: Trmgafun@aol.com
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 20:56:07 -0400 (EDT)
Grettings,

After spending a couple of weeks (on and Off) trying to figure out why my
generator was not charging my battery, I finally figured out that my
generator was not polarized.

A guy at work told me that my generator might need to be polarized, and
instructed me on how to do it.  I unhooked my generator terminals and with a
large screwdriver in hand, holding onto the plastic handle of course, shorted
out the field terminal against the generator body.  Low and behold, my
generator is now putting out sufficient voltage.  Is this some kind of Lucas
voodoo?  Am I supposed to do some kind of ceramonial dance after this is
done?  I hope the Lucas gods don't come after me!!

Can someone explain how this procedure gets the flow of electricity to do its
thing??
And why?

Scott Helms
1957  100-6 BN4L - 0 - 49881