Re: All locked up!!/Rocking the car

To: David Deutsch <drded@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: All locked up!!/Rocking the car
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 09:20:15 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 28 May 1997, David Deutsch wrote:

> There's a line for you: "Hey babe, you want to hop out and help me rock
> the car a little?"
>
> You wrote:
> >
> >I'm going with the starter people on this one. My former 67 locked up
> from
> >time to time. I could disengage by rocking the car back and forth.
> Having no
> >money in my ill-spent youth, I just lived with it, but certainly
> wouldn't
> >recommend such, especially if it does it frequently. Mine usually only
> did
> >it's lockup when I had a girl in the car with me. . .not at all as
> often as
> >I would have liked ;-)
> >
> >Michael, New Bern, NC

I've told this before, so long-timers can tune out.  A college friend had
a 50 Ford that locked up this way one day.  I showed him the rocking trick
and freed it up.  One evening, I got a call from him.  It had locked
again, and he and his girlfriend had been rocking the car back and forth
for a half-hour without getting it to free up.  By this point, they were
hot and sweaty and thoroughly out of sorts.  I asked him what gear he
had it in.  He replied, "It didn't want to move, so I put it in neutral to
make it easier to push."  A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

   W. R. Gibbons  Dept. of Molecular Physiology & Biophysics
                  gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8629