RE: Desmogging a 'B'

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Subject: RE: Desmogging a 'B'
From: <larry.g.unger@lmco.com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 18:35:43 -0400
Scott Gardner wrote:

> To control crankcase ventilation, Bob at Brit-Tek recommended the
> following to me:  take a length of appropriate-size hose, and run it
> from the riser on the engine side cover straight down so that it
> terminates in the airstream below the car.  Then cut off the end of
> the hose on a slant, so the opening in the end of the hose is
> oval-shaped, and facing towards the rear of the car.  At driving
> speed, this will pull the gases out of the crankcase.  I knew exactly
> what Bob was talking about, because this is the same setup we have to
> draw off gas fumes on our T-34 aircraft at work.  Lousy ASCII art
> follows:
> |      |
> |      | <----hose from engine side cover
> |      |
> |      |
> |      /
> |    /    <----Slant-cut tip        rear of car------>>
> |  /           below car in
> |/              airstream

Makes a lot of sense to me ... sure that it will work 'cause the MGA,
*very* early MGB 3-main (pre-emmission) and most likely the T
series (not sure) engines are vented this way. The front tappet cover
is of different style and excepts a steel downpipe (with slant cut).

Safety Fast! ... larry.g.unger@lmco.com
'61 MGA 1600 MkII Roadster