MGA update- getting there

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MGA update- getting there
From: Bill Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 12:20:39 -0500
My parts showed up last night.  I had paid Moss extra for faster delivery
and I had just complained to my SO that they had let me down when the UPS
truck rolled up around 6:00 pm.

With the new bearings, I was able to plastigage my rods.  I have just under
.003 clearance which is towards the high side of the tolerance but very
acceptable in my book.  The clearances were consistent across all of the
journals and in both of the axis that I measured.

I replaced the back two main bearings, all of the rod bearings (big end)
and the thrust washers.  The thrust washers said they were for a Datsun on
the package but they fit fine.

I torqued everything back together.  This was tougher than I thought it
would be thanks to my OF status.  Working under the car, I couldn't get far
enough away from the torque wrench to read the scale.  I managed by looking
through or over my glasses or closing one eye or squinting as necessary.
Tonight I will button the rest of the car up.  This weekend is supposed to
be the nicest one this year and I plan to enjoy it!

Thanks to all who have offered advice and/or engcouragement.  It's nice to
bounce your plan off others prior to implementation.  This cuts down on the
stupid mistakes and also reduces the anxiety involved.  The experience has
actually been quite pleasant although I would RATHER BE DRIVING!

Regards
Bill Eastman
61 MGA with new babbit