Re: Electrical problems

To: Mike Ellsworth <mikeells@alpha.shianet.org>
Subject: Re: Electrical problems
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 13:17:53 -0500
Mike Ellsworth wrote:

> Now back to the turn signal. My right side turn signals still won't blink.
> I can turn on the signal and it will light steadily, but I can turn it on
> and off with the turning stalk. I turn on the hazard lights, then it will
> start to blink.I replaced all bulbs, checked connections, measured voltages
> and resistances, flasher (left side works fine), everything I can think of.
> Someone suggested the hazard switch may be at fault, but they work fine, to
> the point where they override the turn signal not blinking. Could a bad
> hazard switch be dropping some voltage from one turn signal, so the flasher
> doesn't energize? Anyone ever have a similar problem?

It still sounds like you have a weak ground.

When I've suffered through this I _removed_ the light assembly, cleaned
all the contacts, and reinstalled. The *contacts* are usually the nuts
and bolts that hold the light to the fender.

If you feel lucky and have a test wire with alligator clips, go to the
front and wire-brush (gently) on the mounting screws (inside the fender)
and attach the clip to the screws and then to a clear spot on the
frame/front suspension. Blink? Then repeat with the back. This will find
which light assembly has lot ground. I think in the rear there is a
ground wire from the lights that attaches to the license plate light
mouting lug as a ground.

Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6