80 MGB LE - Tires and Bearings

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, british-cars@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 80 MGB LE - Tires and Bearings
From: prsmith@navnet.net
Date: Fri, 30 May 97 17:06:10 -0300
I finally did the deed and installed Michelin X-One tires on my 80 MGB LE
(185SR70x14).  What a difference!!   Not only did a lot of the road noise
disappear but the handling is beautiful.

Once i changed the tires it became obvious that i would have to do
something about the low level grinding/growling noise that I mentioned
earlier this month as ocurring any time I turned to the left.  New front
wheel bearings and seals did the job and also got rid of what I thought
was a 'howling' in the differential. Seems like noise travels throughout
the chassis and gives you false source indications.

Although I replaced both sides, the left wheel bearing was OK.  The right
one was filled with rusty coloured grease suggesting water infiltration.
Strangely none of the bearings and races were worn but once I had the hub
off i figured that the $50 expense for new bearings and seals was worth
replacing the whole bit.

When I removed the races from the right hub, I committed the cardinal sin
and used a steel 1/8" pinch to remove them.  Dumb!!!  I created burrs in
the hub's seat for the races and had to remove them (the burrs) with a
handy Dremel tool.  I quickly located a brass rod which served as a softer
than steel punch to remove the other races and seat them back in the hub.
This is the first time I had repacked wheel bearings since I got rid of my
'65 MGB in 1968 so I forgot a lot of the tricks.  I also had to remember
that when filling the bearing with grease you pack it from one side only
so that you use the other side to guage when the bearing is full of
grease.

Preston - with the top down and driving a quieter and better handling MGB
| By the water in Head of St Margaret's Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada.
| email: prsmith@navnet.net