Re: Ignition light comes on

To: Bob De Weese <bearlock@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Ignition light comes on
From: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 1997 11:05:30 -0500
Bob De Weese wrote:

> I'd like to beg a boon of thee.
> Will comeone please answer my quetions, three...
>
> Took a ride last night and on the way home I noticed that the ign. light
> was very dimly lit at idle.  When RPMs increased, it when out.  Didn't I
> read somewhere that the light marked "Ignition" is the idiot light for
> the charging system?
>
> Before I dive into this, I thought I'd check here, first.  Before I
> bought the car, about two months ago, it sat for over a year.  With that
> being said, and if it _is_ in fact the charging system, do you think
> that the more likely culptet would be the alternator or the voltage
> regulator?
>
> Also, I'm planning on installing a REAL gauge for the charging system.
> Any suggestions on brand and mounting location?
>
> Bobby
> 77 MGB Raodster

Bob -
        You are correct, the "Ignition" light is the idiot light for the
charging system.  Your '77 B will have the voltage regulator mounted
inside the alternator.  It could be the reg, but most likely is bad
diodes or brushes within the alternator.  You can have it rebuilt, or
can buy an exchange unit at many auto parts stores.  Should be arount
$100 exchange.  On my '79 the ignition goes out once I get the rpms
above 1500, then stays out at idle.  No problem with the stock
alternator keeping the battery fully charged.  I did buy a voltmeter, a
2 inch diameter Sun for about $10.00 at Pep Boys.  I removed the
cigarette lighter from the console and mounted the meter there.  Wire
the + side of the meter to a switched 12 volts (like the radio power
lead) and the - side to ground.  I relocated the lighter socket to the
right of the console far back under the dash.  I can still plug in my
cell phone charging adapter if I need to.  The voltmeter will indicate
12 volts (about) with the engine off, should be 13 to 13.5 volts when
the alternator is doing its thing.

--
Keep on keepin' on!

Wayne Kube              1979 MGB