Re: Trans. Rear Oil Seal

To: Johnson <MGPILOT@prodigy.net>
Subject: Re: Trans. Rear Oil Seal
From: EMILY COWEN <ecowen@cln.etc.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 03:47:58 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Kathy Johnson!!

On Sat, 31 May 1997, Johnson wrote:

> has now torn the hell out of the old seal and I'm not sure what to do.

The oil seals are made to stay in position through friction against the
edges of the holes they're mounted in.  If it was easy to remove them,
they'd fall out by themselves!!  What you want is a special tool called
an oil seal remover.  It looks like a miniature version of a double
bladed battle axe.

> The old seal is made out of metal and felt.  Is it best just take it to
> someone who actually knows what they're doing before we really mess it up,

When a job like this comes up, you can take the price of the labour you
would pay a shop, and use that amount to buy the appropriate tool to do
the job.  Many times, you'll still save money by doing it yourself, and
you'll be able to use that tool again (so DON'T buy cheap, you're
already going to save big time).

> or have we all ready done that. >

No, it doesn't sound like it, as long as the housing hasn't been
damaged.  Even then, a little sealer on the gouges in the housing
surface will seal the new oil seal into the housing.

When the new seal is installed, it MUST go in square with the bore.
Pounding in one side, and then the other, usually damages the integrity
of the seal and surrounding parts; as your husband goes berserk trying
to prevent the seal from popping one side out as he hits the other side.

Use a piece of pipe, or a large socket, to drive the seal in to place.
Lubricate the inner surface of the seal before installing; I usually use
whatever lubricant is in the part needing the seal.  A two, or three
pound hammer works best.  Usually, a carpenter's claw hammer is too
light to do the job without having to "pound" exessively.

Have fun, 'cause that's what it's all about!!

TTUL8r, Kirk Cowen   (who uses 4 different hammer weights at work)