Re: Computers again

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net (mgs)
Subject: Re: Computers again
From: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 09:28:48 -0500 (CDT)
Trevor Boicey writes:

>   If you don't like modern technology, that's your right, but
> spreading misinformation is not.

Well, goodness me.  I certainly didn't mean to start a civil war here.
I was simply relating one of life's little experiences, and you guys are
cheaper than a therapist...

>   Ridiculous. How much has a 25 year old LBC spent on
> carbs? How much on reduced mileage due to inefficient
> carbeuration? Most modern cars have never needed anything
> on their computer systems, and will be accidented,
> worn out, or rusted away long before they will need
> anything.

Very true.  I really do love my Volvo, and part of what I love about it
is its reliability.  We drive the thing hard, all the time, and it never
has quit in 275k miles.  It starts when it's hot; it starts when it's
cold; it always has been eminently driveable.

What I dislike about the situation is the "repair requires replacement"
mentality.  When my only option is to replace the faulty sensor, AND the
faulty sensor costs $300, that's a big problem for me.

I really do enjoy the reliability and accuracy that EFI systems provide.
What I don't enjoy is paying for sensor failures.

--

Todd Mullins
Todd.Mullins@nrlssc.navy.mil    On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast

'74 MGB Tourer alive and well