Re: Scratched GT windows

To: Michael MacLeod <macleodm@cadvision.com>
Subject: Re: Scratched GT windows
From: Bob De Weese <bearlock@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 1997 17:59:02 -0400
Michael MacLeod wrote:

> I've been noticing that nearly all MGB-GT's of my acquaintance,
> including my own, appear to have dozens of long light scratches running
> up and down the door windows.  It's as if there are little steel points
> built into the rubber seals at the top of the doors that are scratching
> the glass as the windows are wound up and down.
>         I don't notice this problem with Roadsters
> Is there a way of getting these polished out?  Is there a way of
> preventing this from happening with new glass?  Any information or ideas
> would be appreciated.
>         Thanks

Windows on most cars (haven't opened up the door pannels on the "B"
yet), have "guides" that are covered with felt or similar soft material
when they come from the factory.  Over time the adhesive deteriorates
and the felt falls off, leaving nothing but bare metal for the window to
ride against.

Replacing the felt pads is easy once the door pannel is removed.
Getting the scratches out of the glass?  Wew!  That's a good question.
Seems I remember hearing something about using toothpaste to remove
_minor_ scratches from automotive glass, (but that may be just an old
wives' tale).

Bobby

--
                                       Bob De Weese
                             Certified Professional Locksmith

*  "The secret to effective communication is knowing what to say, *
*   how to say it, and whom to say it to."                        *