Computer reliability

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Computer reliability
From: ceecpa@ols.net (Charles Edwards)
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 10:36:18 -0400 (EDT)
The reliability of electronic components continues to improve exponentially,
although the exponent is now a fraction rather than an integer.  Electronic
components have service lives, though, and failure necessitating replacement
must be anticipated when the age of the component enters its window of failure.

I've seen the world before electronic management and it was not as pretty as
it now is. For this reason I retrofit my old cars with electronic
improvements if the benefit to cost ratio  exceeds one.  I have fitted
electronic ignition and solid state fuel pumps to my MGs based on the
expected value compared to the known cost, even though the expected value
required quantifying qualitative elements such as convenience.