Re: HS-6 Carb Conversion...Pros or Cons?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net (mgs)
Subject: Re: HS-6 Carb Conversion...Pros or Cons?
From: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 10:31:13 -0500 (CDT)
larry.g.unger@lmco.com writes:

> [ someone else ] writes:

> > I need to replace my original HS 4 carbs on my 64 B.
> > Considering going with the HS 6 carbs to squeeze a better
> > curve out of the engine.
> >
> > Has anyone tried this and was it worth it?  Specifically,
> > about $300 more than a pair of HS 4's.
>
> IMHO ... no ... unless you have made substantial engine mods
> you won't benefit from fitting either HS6s or a Weber ... let the
> flames begin ...;^)

Well, my understanding is that you only need bigger carbs if you're
flowing more air, and you're only flowing more air if you

a) run at high (>6k?) revs a lot, or
b) have significantly increased displacement (2 liter conversion), or
c) both

Running a carb with too large a cfm rating will, at best, not increase
performance at all, and, at worst, hurt performance by slowing down the
intake charge.  For normal street 'Bs, which I'm willing to bet rarely
see the high side of 5k rpm, the HS4/HIF4 keeps the intake charge
velocity high, which helps low-rpm cylinder filling and makes more
power at streetable rpms.

I'm certainly no expert, though, and I welcome any more-experienced
opinions.

--

Todd Mullins
Todd.Mullins@nrlssc.navy.mil    On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast