Gulp Valve?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Gulp Valve?
From: "Wade Shanley" <Wadesh@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 97 23:53:57 UT
Can a bad Gulp Valve cause backfiring?  Well, my car is not exactly
backfiring, but when I let off the gas after execrating or when I'm
decelerating, I get this popping and/or crackling noise coming from the
exhaust.  The carbs and ignition timing were just adjusted into spec but it is
only running marginally better.   My mechanic recommends replacing the gulp
valve (about $100 part via catalog). I've seen pictures of some MGBs that
don't even have this "gulp valve".  Any help or comments would be appreciated.
BTW, the car I'm referring to is a 74 MGB with dual carbs, no catalytic
converter.
Wade Shanley
wadesh@msn.com
74MGB