FAQ needed??? Was MOWOG angered!!!

To: aramm <aramm@concentric.net>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: FAQ needed??? Was MOWOG angered!!!
From: Patton Dickson <kpatton@postoffice.worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 15:06:23 -0500
aramm wrote:

> To the whole group...
>
> We need a FAQ for this kind of stuff.  I've een on this list for a
> couple of years off and on, and I must have heard this discussion 20
> times.  I'm not bothered if someone doesn't know the answer, but if
> there were a FAQ everyone had to read when they got on the list, we
> could avoid the "what does MOWOG or MG stand for" threads.

I JUST started working on a Sprite-Midget FAQ based on the mailing list
archives and the MG Enthusists BBS Archives last weekend.

I am going through the posts trying to figure out what would be needed,
but I think that one for the whole group would be to big.  I seems,
after looking at all the information that is present.

That it would be a good idea to do a general one that covers items that
car the same or at least similar in all British cars, i.e. LBC's, DPO's,
MOWOG, MG, Tuning SU's, ect. Then follow it up with a marque model
specific one i.e Midget/Sprite, MGB, MGA, Triumph TR6, Healey 3000's.

I have a copy of the BMW FAQ (way to big, covers all models) and the RX7
FAQ (they divide it into the "generations" of the car).  I really think
these seem to be good resources to thier owners.

All that being said.  I am going to struggle through the Sprite/Midget
one I am working on, despite te fact that I am not qualified to judge if
the advice from the posts is good or bad.  Further more, in the
exceptionally limited knowlegde I do have, 1500 Midgets are as alien to
me as a chevy would be.  I just haven't every ridden in one, much less
looked under the hood.

This really should be in the hand of qualified people probablly, and I
haven't even though about dealing with the copyright problems besides
leaving the posters name with the info.  I am not sure if legally I can
use the information from the team-net servers, or the MG enthusists BBS
archive.  The MG enthusists BBS archive has a pretty explict warning
after each post:

        This page has been produced by Information Providers Limited WebMaster
        c MG Cars Enthusiasts' Club Limited. All rights reserved.

I'm pretty sure I would need to get their permission.

I figure that if I build it and get denied the permission to use it
(especially since it's coming from two sources). I'll have a good
resource for my own use, and I will have learned a bunch of much needed
facts about the LBC's I love.

Any suggestions on how best to do this would be appreciated, no promises
that i will finish this one even, but how nice it would be to be able to
RTFM for those same old questions.  I know that I have had several
beginner questions, and have been searching the archives to avoid asking
the overly basic ones.

Patton

> As for what MOWOG stands for, I know the answer, but I'm not telling! ;>

I remember the first time I saw that word, nobody I knew had any idea
what that meant.  I didn't find out till I got on the net, about 10
years later...  and I'm only 28 now...

Regards,
Patton
--