Transmission Question

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Transmission Question
From: "Christopher M. Delling" <cdelling@ic.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 21:15:01 -0400
Okay, so now the "new" O.D. tranny has been pulled apart, and contrary
to first hunches, my second speed synchro isn't cracked.  For those of
you who don't recall, my tranny very suddenly refused to go into 2nd on
the upshift or downshift.

Turns out that there is a friction material that is bonded onto the
taper that the synchro ring engages.  Apparently this coating decided
that this was the time to become completely unbonded.

Anyone heard of this before?  Should I fear for the other gears as
well?  WIthout the friction material, the synchros don't synchro!  I am
not interested in replacing more expensive parts than necessary, but
while the thing is apart . . .

Regards,

Chris Delling