Re: Mods to exist Intake/Exhaust=Need Advise

To: "Baker, G." <gbaker@customcpu.com>
Subject: Re: Mods to exist Intake/Exhaust=Need Advise
From: EMILY COWEN <ecowen@cln.etc.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 01:49:53 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Greg Baker!!

On Thu, 5 Jun 1997, Baker, G. wrote:

>   What about chamber shaping?  I didn't see anything in his head modification
> book on combustion chamber reshaping for the B while he has lots of diagrams

Yes, that's what's so frustrating when you think of how many "B"'s were
produced... but then maybe most of them were for export???

> for mini's, fords and triumph engines.  The formulas on port, valve and
>general
> preparation are, as you say, directly applicable.

But I'm afraid I'm not talented enough to make that interpretation.

>    While I'm here....someone explain what "shrouding" is.  I think it's
>inherent
> in the head design and "bad" but I really couldn't get a good feel for what
> it is.

While the spacing between intake and exhaust valves tended to remain the
same from one version of the cylinder head to the next, the combustion
chamber volumes didn't.  Some heads had the chamber walls close enough
to the valve rims that there wasn't enough room for the gasses to pass
between the valve rim and the chamber wall efficiently.  This shows up
on a flow bench quite well, and can be cured by either moving the
centre-line of the valve away from the wall (offset guides), or moving
the wall away from the valve rim (grinding away to the head gasket edge)

>    I'm suprised there aren't any books on the B series.  It seems that the

There are.  Burgess's book comes reccommended by this newsgroup.

> factory would have written some tuning info that would be appropriate.

They did; sort of.  The first book dealt with the three main bearing
engine, and the second book dealt with the five main bearing engine.
BOTH books, IMHO, are very dated, and aren't to be used.

TTUL8r, Kirk Cowen   (who bought both factory tuning manuals...  which
                      are great vintage '70's material, but no good)