Re: MGA Slow Death

To: sperera@blkbox.COM
Subject: Re: MGA Slow Death
From: "MIKE LAMBDIN, CANS" <E720LAM@TOE.TOWSON.EDU>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 09:35:23 -0500 (EST)
>Checked by sparks and it was pretty black. Carbon deposits !!! Sounds
>like my mixture on my MGA is rich too. I do not ever use the choke to
>start the MGA either. However, the shop that re-built my carbs
>originally set those carbs that way, i.e., not to use the choke. Were
>they wrong ? Car had been runing pretty good up to now ...

Sam,

As someone stated previously, if the engine starts without using the
choke the carbs are running too rich. Thus, when the engine warms up
the carbs flood and the engine dies. You should always use the choke
when starting the car, unless it's still warm then you shouldn't need
to. Did you use the choke before having the carbs rebuilt? As you
said, the car had been running good until the work was done.

Mike Lambdin