Re: Physics Types And National Symbols

To: gallianp@onyx.xtalwind.net (Paul Gallian)
Subject: Re: Physics Types And National Symbols
From: palte@rt.el.utwente.nl (Bert Palte)
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 97 08:11:26 +0200
Paul Gallian wrote, amongst others:

>>> newton/meters (or whatever).
>>
>>The schools are really failing young people today.  As a morning exercise
>>before the start of the fifth grade, we used to:
>>
>>1) pledge allegiance to the flag, and
>>
>>2) chant in unison, "multiply newton-meters by 0.7375621 to obtain
>>pound-feet; divide pound-feet by 1.355818 to obtain newton-meters"

Pledging allegiance to the flag (I've seen it many times on TV, of course)
looks rather exotic to us non-U.S. citizens but then, of course, here in Europe
we have quite different national symbols like the royal families etc.

BTW I tried to find the text of the US national anthem (The Star Spangled
Banner)
on Internet. I succeeded, of course, after some searching.
Found the text difficult to read, however.
Many not too common (colloquial) English words.

Ok, back to LBCs now...

Bert