Re: Long trip... replacing gas tank

To: "Mark A. Wise" <wisem@db.erau.edu>
Subject: Re: Long trip... replacing gas tank
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 14:18:39 -0500
Mark A. Wise wrote:

> So, how difficult is it to swap out an old for a new tank.  Also, are
> there any other parts that I need to replace while under there?

Wasn't a big deal on my C/GT. I replaced the sender while I was there as
well as all the bolts that hold it to the boot floor. When you drop it,
you'll notice some old and decayed rubber strips between it and the boot
floor. Anything from a good hardware store can replace that.

I also painted the boot floor and tank with rustoleum. Nobody can see
the floor and the tank, well, the new paint is pretty chinzy. I bought
the tank from VB. When you order the tank, you might ask if the tank is
baffled. Mine wasn't.

> While we're at it, any other suggestions for getting my car ready for
> the 3000+ mile journey?

Only carry extra parts that are exepnsive. Those never break. Even the
restocking fee on return still makes it cheap insurance. Don't bother
asking Thomas James Pokrefke, III his opinion -- it would just scare
you.

> I'll be driving down the CA coast then across
> Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and finally
> Florida.  I'm going to be taking the two lane "blue highways" and
> visiting a few of the many national parks (e.g., the grand canyon) along
> the way.

Oh man, you're heading for some beautiful country. If you're going by
the Canyon, try to get north though Bryce and Zion, Utah. The southern
edge of the state is wonderful. There are some rustic, ancient roads
between Farmington and Gallup, New Mexico. Or you can head through Taos
(yech) and Eagles Nest (yeah). I don't know what to tell you about west
Texas -- maybe a nice, long, night drive. Farther southeast you're on
your own.

--
Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6, '61Elva(?)