Cylinder head questions

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Cylinder head questions
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 15:00:33 +0000
I'm taking my B's cylinder head into a machine shop to have a broken
rocker stud removed.  (Just in case anybody else didn't know, the
rocker studs and the head studs do NOT have the same torque specs!
Ouch!).
        While it's in there, I'm thinking about having the surface of the
head decked as well.  I have the old cylinder heads with the big
combustion chambers, and a newer 18V block with the larger piston
domes, so my compression ratio is abysmally low.  How can I figure
out how much to deck the head?  I have a steady supply of 93 octane
pump gas, so I'd like to make the most of it.
        If it helps, the block is a 18V, low-compression model
(18v585Z L1202), and I believe it's been overbored .030.  The pistons
that are in there now have a dish in them, but I don't know if
they're the same dish size as what was originally in the engine.
        I think I'm looking somewhere in the range of .040 to .060 off the
head.  Can anyone help me narrow it down more?  What's a good
compression ratio to take full advantage of 93 octane gas?
        Lastly, if I do it and it turns out that I took off too much and the
engine pings on 93 gas, what can I do?  Retard the
timing?  Double-gasket the cylinder head?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
 Scott Gardner