Re: SU 1.5 Carbs....Rebuild or Replace?

To: BDurgin1@aol.com
Subject: Re: SU 1.5 Carbs....Rebuild or Replace?
From: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 21:12:01 -0400
BDurgin1@aol.com wrote:

> The original HS 4 carbs on my 64 B were rebuilt twice in the last
> 89000
> miles. tHe PO had kept some pretty good documentation and it looks
> like they
> were rebuilt at 35K miles (1969) and at 58000 miles in 1978.  I bought
> the
> car in 1993 and have put about 10000 miles on.  The idle is a little
> rough,
> not too bad, noticed one of the dash pots has been fairly well chewed
> up...looks like corrosion on the aluminum.  Carbs should probably be
> rebuilt.
>  Anyway, it is part of the general plan to totally restore the car
> which is
> about 75 % done now.
>
> Opinions on either an Apple rebuild or just get a whole new set?  The
> catalogs say that  the rebuilt carbs are never as good as new.  Any
> comments?
>
> Bruce Durgin
> 64 B

   Bruce,
      IMHO - I would strongly suggest having the carbs rebuilt by Jim
Taylor. He does an absolutely masterful job. And, his prices are VERY
reasonable. His address is:
1222 Harned Dr., Bartlesville OK 74006. Tel: (918) 333-3444. He rebuilt
the carbs for my TD, including the installation of helicoils where
necessary. The usual disclaimers, etc.

Bud Krueger
52TD