Re:-Removing flywheel bolts <John Middlesworth>

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re:-Removing flywheel bolts <John Middlesworth>
From: John Bartholomew <jdb70@juts.ccc.amdahl.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 15:23:34 -0700

>Date:   Tue, 17 Jun 1997 22:24:52 -0400 (EDT)

>From: John Middlesworth <<jape@email.unc.edu>

>Subject: Removing flywheel bolts

>I'm trying to get the flywheel off the back of my 18V engine and I haven't

>been able to move any of the bolts that hold it to the crank.  They're so

>short that I don't own a socket that can get a good grip on them.  Has

>this been anyone else's experience?  Any secrets to getting them loose?

>Why do they seem to be soooo torqued down?  (Yes, I have bent back the

>lock plates.)

>John Middlesworth

>1972 MGB

John, I have done this a few times and what I have done is bend the lock tabs
back, place a socket over the head of the bolt and rap the socket a few times
with a hammer to flatten the tab and allow the socket to sit over the head in a
better position. Then more force can be applied with a breaker bar or air
wrench, without the socket slipping off.

</color>John Bartholomew Amdahl San Jose CA.

 ** 408-746-6361 07:00-16:00 PST.  **  USUAL DISCAILMERS APPLY  **

1969 MGBGT;1972 MGB;1973 MGB;1976 MGB;1979 MGB; 1974 MGB daily driver.