MGA still fumbling at idle when hot

To: MGs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MGA still fumbling at idle when hot
From: Trmgafun@aol.com
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 11:06:39 -0400 (EDT)
Greetings,

Well the popular remedy for my MGA carb problem was running rich and the fact
that I could start it without the choke.  One guy mentioned that I may need a
new coil but the coil on the car is new.  Another mentioned dirty air filters
but they appear to be clean.  So I pulled the carbs, fixed my sticking jet
(added some Teflon lube to the jet shaft), reinstalled the carbs, leaned the
mixture to the point that the car wanted to die when lifting the pistons,
whereas before, I leaned the carbs to this point but then richened the
mixture to the point where when the pistons were lifted slightly, the engine
RPM would increase momentarily but then come back to the original speed, as
indicated in the workshop manual.

I took the car out for the first time last night, had to start it with the
choke, and the car runs very poorly, no power, and still wants to die at idle
once fully warmed.  I stopped by a friends house and felt lucky, so I turned
the car off.  When I tried to start it about 10 minutes later, it wouldn't
start.  I finally got it started (barely) after about 10 minutes, and got it
home.

My car is running at about 200 deg. F once warmed (about 80 deg. outside),
and will start to climb toward 212 deg. at stop lights, while fumbling with
the idle and holding the brake with the same foot (sound familiar?).  Maybe
the car is getting too hot?  Someone mentioned trying an ice pack on the
incoming fuel line, maybe I'll richen the mixture back to where the engine
ran good at higher RPM's and try the ice pack.  Has anyone tried the
themostat insert that is used in place of the thermostat, sold by Moss?

Any more input would be appreciated.

Scott Helms