Re: mgs@autox.team.net digest #9 Thu Jun 19 09:37:06 MDT 1997

To: gardner@lwcomm.com
Subject: Re: mgs@autox.team.net digest #9 Thu Jun 19 09:37:06 MDT 1997
From: dmeadow@juno.com
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 21:01:24 EDT
On Mon, 23 Jun 1997 02:59:12 +0000 "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
writes:
>> Date:          Thu, 19 Jun 1997 09:37:06 -0600 (MDT)
>> From:          mgs-owner@autox.team.net
>> Subject:       mgs@autox.team.net digest #9 Thu Jun 19 09:37:06 MDT
>1997
>
>> I may get flamed for this, but are you sure your exaust system is
>clear?
>> The center muffler on my 73 disintegrated once and caused some weird
>> problems, kind of like ramming a potato up the exaust pipe.
>>
>> Just a thought,   Don Walton in NC
>>
>Don,
>       If you get flamed for this, I'll loan you my nomex firesuit.
>I had
>the same thing happen to the core in my wife's Cavalier (Sooo glad we
>sold that P.O.S.)  The converter core collapsed, and the car would
>barely run.  Excessive backpressure can really do a number on an
>engine, with symptoms that hardly scream "look in the tailpipe!"
>Scott

Interesting.  Not that we want to get on a Cavalier thread, here, but I
had exactly the same experience with the SO's '88.  So I spent a day
under it installing a new converter.  The old one had big chunks of
catalyst rolling around inside.  The bad part of the story is... we still
own the POS ;-(

David Littlefield
Houston, TX