Transmission oil update

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Transmission oil update
From: Bill Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 14:22:47 -0500
As I mentioned a while back, I filled the MGA's transmission with Amzoils
gear oil.  This was an attempt to quite it down and smooth out the shifts a
bit.

After about 500 miles, I am considering changing to something else.  While
noise is down and shifts are much smoother, to negative effects have been
noticed.  First, the stuff is too slick for my, admittedly old and worn,
synchros to do their job.  I can now beat all the synchros all the time
where before second was an issue only when you were in a hurry.

The second issue may be peculiar to my car but, knowing LBC's fairly well,
I doubt it.  After 36 years, my tranny is not as oil tight as it once was.
The Amzoil gear lube smells like gear lube which means that it stinks to
high heaven, in my opinion.  Now, when my car gets warm and I stop at a
stoplight, I get the unmistakable aroma of gear lube gently wafting up from
the floorboards.  This I can live without.

So I expect that I will be ditching the Amzoil soon.  Others have mentioned
Redline MTL.  Where do you get it?  How much does it cost? What does it
smell like?  Moss sells Redline Nonslip gear lube for manual tranny's.  How
does that stuff smell?

Regards,
Bill Eastman
61 MGA with slight BO