Lean = hot?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Lean = hot?
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 03:21:23 +0000
> Subject: Carbs, why is lean hot?
>
> While on the topic of carbs, I always wondered why a lean mixture makes an
> engine run hot. Anybody out there have a good theory? Could it have anything
> to do with the evaporation of unburned gas? A friend of mine says air cooled
> engines are run extra rich to help keep them cool, fact or fiction?
>
> Bob Donahue, Still Stuck in the '50s

Bill,
        Just going to throw my W.A.G in here, but could it be that extra air
in the mixture leads to more complete combustion, thus drawing more
heat energy from the fuel?  This might also explain why emissions
will usually drop with a leaner mixture.
        Again, just a guess.  I'd love to know more, as well.
Scott
Scott Gardner
gardner@lwcomm.com
www.lwcomm.com/~gardner