MG will not rev - HELP !!

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: MG will not rev - HELP !!
From: "TS Internet Machine" <econ.tech.dti@gtnet.gov.uk>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 15:36:28 +0100
Dear All,

This is a follow up to the "Very hot coil - poor running - please help"
request from June 4th..  Many thanks to all those on the list who
responded...

I have been helping my friend with his B but we are not getting very far.

The car is now running (but badly - see later) after replacement of most of
the electrical lucas type bits under the bonnet and much shouting and
swearing from all concerned... When the weather is lovely outside and the
topless MG is not working very well, the last thing you want to be doing
when it's a fantastic summers day is farting around under the bonnet !!

Current Situation...  MGB '74 Chrome Bumper.  Electical bits all replaced,
Points, condensor, LT lead, Dist Cap, HT Leads, Spark plugs, Coil + coil
wiring.

The engine now runs but will not rev !

It will tickover at 800 rpm quite happily but the instant you hit the gas
pedal the car starts to cough and splutter, backfires in the carbs and
spurts black smoke out of the back....  It will not rev over 2,500 rpm and
runs really really rough if you try and take it over its tickover.

We've changed the fuel filter, checked the fuel delivery (sort of sloshes
out at a leisurly pace at the carbs) and even tried running the car without
a filter but no change to the situation.  One point of note is that the
plugs are really black when it's been running for a while.

Can you offer any pointers for what to try or check next....

The car has now been off the road for 5 weeks and his wife is getting ideas
about getting rid of the MG - too sad to contemplate losing another MGer.

It would be appreciated if you copied your responses to

       Kevin.Phillips@tidv.dti.gov.uk

As he is not on this list.

Please Help.

Many thanks in advance.  Andy.