Re: Blowing a piston

To: Scott Gardner <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Subject: Re: Blowing a piston
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 16:35:12 -0400
Scott Gardner wrote:
> hear of somebody missing a shift and "airmailing a piston through the
> hood", is this just a figure of speech?

  Well, a friend put a whole cylinder head through the hood
of his audi trying to merge one time. The head seperated spectacularily
and came right up into the hood, denting it heavily and showing through
in one place.

  The only colourful phrase I can speak for in person is
"throwing a rod", my Midget 1500 came to me after having
done this.

  Essentially, the rod broke across the middle. The Piston
was thrown up to TDC where it stayed. On the downstroke,
the valve above the piston tried to open but instead just
bent a pushrod and snapped a rocker arm.

  Then on the upstroke, or one of the next upstrokes,
the rod jammed against the inside of the block and blew
out the side, leaving a two-finger hole.

  New lower end, new rocker shaft, new valve, new rods,
and it's back on the road in my posession now.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada