clutch freeplay/bleeding

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: clutch freeplay/bleeding
From: karim.marouf@cancom.com
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 11:27:09 -0800
Thanks to everyone who advised me on my clutch problems=2E I'd expected the=
=20
hole in the clutch master cylinder's pushrod to be a little worn, but I was=
=20
suprised to see that it had worn to almost  twice its diameter!

I haven't yet bled the system, and that brings me to another point=2E Is th=
ere=20
any concensus on one method to bleed the brakes/clutch? My method is to hav=
e=20
someone pump the pedal a few times and hold it down on the final stroke=20
while I close the bleeder=2E The manual says that you should open and close=
=20
the bleeder on each downstroke=2E A friend's method is to have someone pump=
=20
the pedal with the bleeder closed, and then to open it up while the pedal i=
s=20
being depressed=2E My method has seemed to work, but I have never been sure=
 if=20
it's the best way to do it=2E Does it matter anyway, or will any method wor=
k=20
as long as you get a clear, bubble-free stream?