Re: CKGRRRING ??? !!!

To: Bob De Weese <bearlock@erols.com>
Subject: Re: CKGRRRING ??? !!!
From: Craig Wiper <craigw@sonic.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 15:46:10 -0700
At 06:12 PM 6/28/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Recently it's been getting dificult to get the B into reverse.  Now I'm
>having a hardtime getting it into first.  I noticed that there is a LOT
>of free movenent of the clutch peddle, leaving only an inch or two of
>"beef" at the most.
>
>Looking at the Haynes manual I can't seem to find any kind of adjustment
>for the peddle to take up the slack, so I'm assuming that it's got
>something to do with hydraulic fluid.  (Would that be a valid
>assumption?)
>
>>From the picture it looks like the master cyl is up under the dash(?).
>(I haven't crawed under there yet.)  This might be a stupid question,
>but how do I get fluid into reservoir.  (I know, through the cap!)  Is
>there really enough room under there to get a bottle of brake fluid (?)
>up under there to fill the master cyl?
>
>Is there anything else that might be causing my problem?  Is there
>anything I should know before I start?
>

>Bobby
>77 MGB Roadster (in a mood)

Hi Bobby. It sounds like your master cylinder could be going out. Or you've
got a bit of air in your hydraulic lines. The master cylinder is located in
the left-hand corner of the engine compartment where the bonnet hinges to
the car. The clutch and brake masters are there. The clutch master is the
small cylinder. Open it and check the fluid. You may need to bleed the
lines and add new fluid. This is sometimes a not-so-easy job with the
clutch. I've only been successful by using an eezy-bleed unit, which is a
one-man operation using your spare tire as a pressure supplier to force the
fluid through the lines as you bleed them at the slave unit.

Good luck,

Craig Wiper
craigw@sonic.net
http://www.sonic.net/~craigw