Re: Hot Light Switch

To: Mark Moburg <markmoburg@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Hot Light Switch
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 17:25:20 -0400
Mark Moburg wrote:
> In any event, when you run any current through a
> wire, it will heat up.  How much it heats up is a factor of how much current
> you put through it.  Your lighting switch carries all the current for the
> head lights, front marker lights, side lights (if you have them), tail
> lights, licence plate lights and dash lights.  No wonder the poor thing is
> sweating.

  Sure. Just to extend this, the heat is caused by current through
a resistance.

  Every wire, every join, and every connection is a resistance,
and could develop some heat. I know that the contacts in the
switch are probably a fairly high resistance, so some heat is
to be expected.

  I guess my roundabout question is really asking if my switch
is making a poorer connection than it should, leaving a larger
resistance and a greater source of heat.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada