re:Thanks, Advance, tire changes, jacks

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: re:Thanks, Advance, tire changes, jacks
From: phil sims <phil@wilsongriak.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 11:02:05 -0600
>Date: Tue, 01 Jul 1997 09:07:03 -0500
>From: Bill Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
>To: mgs@autox.team.net
>Subject: "Bang for the Buc" was: Thanks, Advance, tire changes, jacks
>Sender: owner-mgs@autox.team.net

On Tues, Hong King day, Bill Eastmant wrote:
SNIP-SNIP
  In either case, a person would be better
>served to have the distributor recurved rather than to just bump up static
>timing.  Speed shops can do this and it is amazingly cheap, if my memory
>serves me correctly.

Hey Bill et al:

If you wanted to have the distributor re-curved what specs would you give
the shop? Similar question for carb needles... i.e. there is much talk
about swaping richer/leaner needles. Is the process entirly emperical(
YMMV?) or are there guidlelines based on compression etc that can (for a
stock engine) guide you along the experimental trail. Are there specific
needle #'s that would make a good "starter kit" for the new performance
tuner.

And, as long as i'm on the rant here, an M,G. supplier in my town (our
town, Bill) races an A in Vintage races. He claims 135 HP on his Dynoed
1600. In my business we say the last 5% of the job takes 90% of the
effort/money. Can anyone give an opinion, with specifics as to what mods
would give you say 85-90HP out of a 1600(i.e. only the not the "ultimate 5%
but the first 90%-95% of the job?)    Many folks on the list talk about
somewhat wilder cams,etc. / porting heads etc.wha tdoes one do first,
second etc.

All of this, I guess could be summed up with the question,,, what is the
most "Bang for the Buck" in performance mods? (Hey, we can dream can't we?)

Phil Sims
Wilson-Griak,Inc.
(612)377-7900
phil@wilsongriak.com