Re: Alloy valve covers

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net (mgs)
Subject: Re: Alloy valve covers
From: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 15:29:41 -0500 (CDT)

Skip Kelsey writes back:

> I dont think that there are any. I drill a hole in the back and install a
> 90 degree aircraft type bulkhead fitting. The hose slips right on. You can
> get them in brass. They look very good.

Hmmm.

Unless y'all are talking about something totally different, the smog
fitting on the back of the valve cover pulls fuel vapors from the carbon
canister, through the block, and to the carbs via PCV.  On the stock
valve covers, this fitting has a very small inlet hole, and the workshop
manuals make a big deal of this restricted inlet.  I guess you don't
want too many gas fumes running around your crankcase at once, so they
meter it with the restriction, but as I said, that's just a guess.

Any other thoughts?

--

Todd Mullins
Todd.Mullins@nrlssc.navy.mil    On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast

'74 MGB Tourer with stock valve cover and carbon canister

Atheist #685                    "Whatever, baby."