Our cars being shipped overseas

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Our cars being shipped overseas
From: karim.marouf@cancom.com
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 12:36:14 -0800
On 7/2, Ron wrote:

{{I had a fellow named Jacque follow my MGA home one time to see if I
wanted to sell it (fat chance!)=2E He told me that he buys mostly MGB's
and midgets in any condition=2E When he gets a sizable supply, he stacks
them two high (uses some kind of wood frame contraption) in a container
and ships them to France or The Netherlands=2E He does this about 6-8
times a year=2E I think he was able to get either 6 or 8 cars into the
container=2E So almost 50 cars a year from my little corner of the
universe alone (Santa Rosa, CA=2E-not that big a town)=2E The local paper
runs permanent ads asking for MG, Healey, Jags, etc=2E any condition=2E It'=
not hard too see that our LBCs will be getting rarer (and more
expensive) if this kind of shipping to Europe continues=2E May not be such
a bad thing for those of us that already own one }}

I've had my '67 B-GT on sale and at least have the calls I've gotten were=20
from dealers=2E There are dozens of dealers here in Los Angeles=2E Some of=20=
them=20
ship hundreds of cars overseas, both European and American=2E These cars ar=
e=20
going to good homes, but now nice cars are getting harder to find=2E

When I was in Germany last winter, I didn't see any MGs but I did see many=20
Spitfires and Volvo 124s being used as daily drivers=2E Apparently these ar=
e=20
the cars are budget classics over there=2E

I've heard that many cars are also being exported to Australia=2E