Re: Why pos earth?

To: jboatri@emory.edu
Subject: Re: Why pos earth?
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 1997 08:01:52 EDT
Hi Jeff,
 Running with the lights on is something that my wife and I are doing
more and more. Neither the bright red MGB GT nor the TD seems to be
visible.  One of the fellows in our club recently installed some nifty
headlamps that he bought in the UK.  The main driving illumination is
provided by a bulb inside the headlamp fixture, plus there is a smaller
bulb inside the reflector that acts as a daytime running light.  Seems a
good idea, yet it isn't taxing his generator (MGA) unduly. If you just
need a little more power, could you adjust the regulator?
  Coils work with either polarity. The center brake light consumes power
only when the other brake lights are on, so that's not much of a draw on
the system.  I haven't had any experience with Pertronix, so can't say
about its polarity requirements. My TD needed a new, Positive Earth,
radio to replace the 1961 Motorola "transistor" model with built-in
bottom speaker, and two conalrad markers on the face. Was unable to find
a Pos ground radio in any catalogs, though have seen old ones at vendor
stalls in shows.
  Nothing wrong with changing polarity in my opinion, please understand,
I just have an underlying interest in "original, unrestored."  Having
said that, my TD is now neg-earth, for electronic reasons and "expert"
advice that still annoy me too much to relate. May reverse it again,
though, if the clock needs service this winter.
  You are at Emory? I started college there, before the Navy and other
adventures...
Bob