Re: MGB tranny question

To: Trmgafun@aol.com
Subject: Re: MGB tranny question
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 22:47:41 +0100
Trmgafun@aol.com wrote:

> The question:
>
> The clutch on his late 60's MGB is not releasing.  When depressing the clutch
> pedal, the slave cylinder appears to be actuating properly so I would rule
> out the hydraulics.  They've checked everything visable from the outside of
> the tranny and everything looks OK.  The car had been driven this Spring and
> apparently everything was working fine until lately.  Maybe something came
> loose?

Was it raingin pretty hard when he put the car away and then he left
it for awhile? Sometimes the clutch disk will rust-seize to the
flywheel. But usually the car has to be parked for quite a while.

Usual fix is just to wait until there is no traffic. Then putter around
with the car in gear and the clutch held in. After a couple of braking
and acccelerating sessions it'll likely release again.

> Also, can the transmission be removed without removing the engine on the MGB?
>  I thought I read something about this recently.

Yes but it is harder. Use a cutting torch to remove everything
aft of the firewall. The transmission will then just fall out.

> Thanks in advance,

No Problem,

Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6, '61Elva(?)
"Cats. The other white meat."