Re: Still having fuel challenges... :-(

To: "Jason F. Dutt" <simjason@ix.netcom.com>,
Subject: Re: Still having fuel challenges... :-(
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 16:22:52 -0400
Jason F. Dutt wrote:
> Hard to say, as my exhaust is a bit noisy...I could check it by sticking my
> head down there...What if it was?

  If you have an electric pump, you can "feel" it running with
your finger on it.

  If the pump isn't clicking as your engine is dying, your
system is being starved for fuel and the pump doesn't
know it. Look for pump or electrical troubles.

  If the pump is pumping slowly but the engine is still
dying, there might be a blockage between the pump and
engine. The pump feels a backpressure so it thinks the
bowls are full, but the engine isn't getting enough
fuel.

  If the pump is pumping furiously and the engine is
still dying, you have a pump problem. Like an air leak,
or a holed diaphragm, or some other reason the pump
is trying but just can't move any fuel.

> Huh?  I dunno what you're talking about.   The only visible thing I have in
> the line before the carbs is a fuel filter.

  The gauze I am talking about was the problem on
a TR3 with twin SUs. The car idled fine, but couldn't
apply power to get the car moving.

  Right at the banjo fitting on each carb was a
kind of "last chance" filter, looked like a thimble
shaped gauze. The gauze was mostly clogged with tar,
so the car could idle but the line wouldn't pass
enough fuel to keep the bowls full beyond that. Cleaning
them solved problems.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada