Re: TD Shocks

To: rdonahue@holli.com
Subject: Re: TD Shocks
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 09:24:36 EDT
Bob,
 The Workshop Manual gives settings for the dampers, when removed from
the car and tested on the work.  Range of motion is 35 degrees each side
of centerline, for both front and rear.
  Front--Rebound stroke setting--20 degrees per second at 400 lb/in
torque at a  temperature of 18 C or 65 Fahrenheit. (weight applied at end
of 8 inch arm = 50lbs)
  Compression setting--20 degrees per second at 200 lb/in. (weight
applied at end of 8 inch arm = 25lbs)
 Rear-rebound stroke setting--20 degrees per second at 400 lb/in
torque(weight applied at end of 6 inch arm = 66lb 11 0z.)
   Compression stroke setting-20 degrees per sec at 250 lb/in. (weight
applied at end of 6 inch arm = 41 lb, 11 oz.
  It appears to me that they both rebound equally, but that the fronts
are a little softer in compression.
  To check the fluid level, just clean around the opening with a wire
brush--get it super clean-- then remove the big top nut (girling) or the
small filler plug (armstrong) and fillerup to overflowing.  If it takes
more than a couple of tablespoons, push the bumper up and down to remove
any entrapped air. That's all there is to it.
Bob