RE: sreaming alternator

To: <JimMcD74@worldnet.att.net>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: sreaming alternator
From: <larry.g.unger@lmco.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 09:58:11 -0400
Jim McDougal wrote:

> Sysiphus has finnaly given me annother problem to solve. It has
> been driven every day since the begining of December, after
> having taken  a year long state-imposed slumber. I had it
> smogged by a pro a few weeks ago, and a few days later, it
> developed a squeel, no more of a scream. The scream doesn't
> start untill a few minutes after it gets to operating temperature,
> and it does often stop after being reved or run at over 2500 RPM
> for a short while. It will restart after being returned to idle. It doesn't
> start sreaming untill it is above 1,000 RPM, and if it is in
> screaming mode, the idle will drop from it normal 800 RPM to 600
> RPM.
>
> I suspect either the water pump (a new cast iron one purchased
> and installed in december), or the alternator (rebuilt unit purchased
> two years ago). I know it is not the air pump because I disconnected
> it as a test. I haven't had any noticeable power supply problems
> (even with my CD player on). My question to you is: Is there a way
> that I can lube or repair the offending bearing, without having to buy
> annother rebuilt part?

Its possible that ya just have a belt slipping.  When a bearing starts
screaming it *typically* doesn't stop, but a belt will stop and start
depending on rpm.  So ... before ya start disassembling/replacing
bits ya might want to make a trip to the local parts store for a can
of belt dressing.

The instructions on the can of belt dressing will tell you to apply it with
the engine stopped 'cause they don't want your hands near the belts/fan
... makes alot of sense.  That having been said, if your like me and
have more testosterone than common sense,  start the engine and
let it achieve screaming status ... then spray the belt dressing on the
pulley.  If the screaming stops you found the problem ... if not your
out a can of belt dressing.

Safety Fast! ... larry.g.unger@lmco.com
'61 MGA 1600 MkII