Re: unleaded heads was TF mystery

To: bleckstein@monmouth.net, dmeadow@juno.com
Subject: Re: unleaded heads was TF mystery
From: Spook37211@aol.com
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 12:03:15 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-07-19 10:28:53 EDT, bleckstein@monmouth.net (Leckstein)
writes:

<< I purchase some of the British enthusiast publications, which seem to
 >reflect some amount of hysteria over this subject, since they are now
 >phasing out leaded gas in that country.  I think there is more concern
 >than is warranted, considering the evidence so far.

Guys,
I have seen recessed valves that I believe were due  to  usage of the
unleaded oxygenated fuels.
The heads concerned were 948/1098/1275 heads which exibited valve and seat
erosion of approx. 200% compared to heads run a comparable number of hours on
leaded fuel.
Many have pointed out that SOME heads have the induction hardened seats.
 This was not done for the unleaded gas, but for extended head/valve life.
I don't pretend that the above constitutes a scientific study of the
situation, but I would use caution with the eco-gas.
As an aside, it transpires that there is a growing body of evidence that
oxygenated gas doesn't reduce pollution.
As to the old T-cars, if I had one that I drove on a regular basis, I would
install the hardened valves and seats at the next valve job
Pardon any typing errors, as I was knee-capped by an MG Saturday........but
that's another story.
Best Regards,
Ray