Re: Heater controls

To: RWYGONIK@grove.iup.edu
Subject: Re: Heater controls
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 15:30:26 EDT
On Mon, 21 Jul 1997 12:28:58 -0500 (EST) RAY WYGONIK
<RWYGONIK@grove.iup.edu> writes:
>Todd Mullin asked that I restate my question.  I sent it out after
>several
>frustrating hours, so let me try again in a more sane mind.
>
>The two controls, one for temp and the other to direct air to either
>cabin or
>windsreen, consist of a knob, face plate, a metal housing that fits
>behind the
>dash and holds the light, and the shaft/control mechanism.  The
>control
>cables are connected behind the dash to what I am calling the control
>mechanism.
>
>When I turn one knob it has definite click stops.  The other just
>turns about
>320 degrees.  It appears the one with the click stops should control
>the
>heat/defrost control and the other the temperature. Is this correct?
 Yes, the knob with the clicks is the heater/defroster etc.  Neither of
my Bs has ever had the words align with the function, however, so
switching the cables may be as far as one can go before law of diminish
returns (and of shed blood) activates.

>At the moment I have them switched.  The arrows on the face plates do
>not jive
>with the direction the knobs turn, and I am not getting full movement
>on the
>valve that controls flow of the coolant to the heater box.
  I've never been able to get the control knob to push that valve the
last 1/4 inch and lock there, so spring and autumn I push the valve that
little distance with my hand. Thus in summer one gets no warmth to a
little warmth, and in winter one gets all the heat it can deliver to
somewhat less.  Use a 190 thermostat if you want to be able to detect
warmth, and a piece of cardboard in front of half the radiator helps
reduce airflow over the engine.  Also, duct tape around the oil cooler
helps it run warmer in winter.

>I believe they need reversed, I just wanted confirmation before I
>contort
>myself and crawl back under the dash.  Hope that is clearer, if not
>let me know
>and I'll try again.  Typing is easier than getting my paws in the
>tight places
>behind the dash.

The MGB heater controls cause one to admire the basic simplicity of the
TD heater. There was none when the cars left Abington.
Bob